Uni (Sea Urchin Roe) Pasta
Fresh uni can be found in trays in the refrigerated section of most Japanese markets.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ lb. linguine
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ tsp. red chili flakes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz. fresh uni
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, finely diced
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup seasoned nori (seaweed), chiffonade
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Add the linguine and cook the pasta for 8–10 minutes or until al dente.
- In a wok over medium heat, melt the olive oil and butter together. Add garlic and sauté for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the chili flakes and heavy cream. Bring to a slight slimmer and add all but 4 pieces of the uni.
- Remove from heat and whisk items together until the uni has broken down into the sauce. Toss in the cooked pasta until the noodles have been evenly coated. Season with remaining salt and white pepper.
- Transfer pasta to a plate and place the remaining whole uni segments on top. Sprinkle the tops with chives, sesame seeds, and nori. Serve immediately.