Upside-Down Apple Pie
If you prefer, you can substitute vegetable shortening for the butter when making the crust. Peeled apples will give a better texture, and soak up more caramel.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. cold butter, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times. Cut 6 tablespoon butter into small cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the egg until chunks form. If necessary, add a little cold water to get this consistency. Press the chunks together into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Place a skillet over medium-heat. Add remaining butter and when melted add the granulated sugar. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute more. Turn off the heat.
- Layer the apple slices around the outside of the pan so the tips are touching the skillet wall and the thin edge of each slice is under the thicker edge of the slice next to it. Fill in the center with apple slices. Cook over high heat for 12 minutes or until the caramel mixture is very dark and the apples have soaked up most of it. Tilt the pan to cover the apple slices with juice. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a 14-inch circle. Place the dough on the skillet. Tuck the dough edges under so they touch the skillet but are not visible. Cut four 1-inch slits in the center of the pie.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes. Loosen the edges of the crust with a knife. Place a plate on top of the skillet and invert. Scrape out any apples that stick and rearrange them on top.