Valentine's Day Chocolate Mousse
It wouldn’t be Valentine’s day without this deliciously, chocolatey mousse topped with a chocolate heart to make it extra sweet.
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, plus 3/4 cup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 strawberries (optional)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups HERSHEY'S® Special Dark Chocolate Chips, HERSHEY'S® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S® Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- To prepare the chocolate hearts: Place 1/4 cup of the dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips and 1/2 tsp. shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir until melted. Let stand 2 minutes. Pour into heavy duty small plastic bag, Cut off a tiny corner of the bag. Squeeze bag to pipe mixture into heart shapes on wax paper. Refrigerate until firm.
- Tip: To form perfectly shaped chocolate hearts, trace around a small heart-shaped cookie cutter on a piece of white paper. Tape wax paper over the white paper; pipe chocolate on wax paper following the outline.
- To prepare the mousse: Stir together sugar and cornstarch in medium heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until boiling. Stir about half of hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Return all to saucepan. Boil gently 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips and vanilla to hot mixture; stir until chocolate is melted. Pour into small metal bowl. Set bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice water. Beat on high speed of mixer about 5 minutes or until chocolate mixture is completely cooled. Fold in the whipped 3/4 cup cream. Spoon into martini glasses or dessert dishes.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 2 days. Just before serving, top each with a dollop of the whipped 1/2 cup cream and a strawberry, if desired. Peel chocolate hearts from wax paper; place one on each dessert.