Valentine’s Day Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes with Bechamel Sauce
This side dish will win your date’s heart on Valentine’s Day! Make a loving impression by baking Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes with Bechamel Sauce. These baked potatoes with cheese, sour cream and a rich sauce are topped with panko breadcrumbs to make this dish the love of your life.
Serves: 5Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (1 lb., 14 oz.) Country-Style Hash Browns
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup
- 1⁄3 cup green onions
- 1 cup white onions, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 1 package (8 oz.) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 container (16 oz.) Sour Cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions, sour cream, half the shredded cheddar (about 1 cup), salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Pour and spread the mixture into a casserole baking dish.
- Melt half the stick of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and sugar.
- Continue to cook the flour mixture, making a roux, for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 2 cups milk and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Pour and spread on top of the hash brown mixture.
- Add a layer of panko breadcrumbs and the remaining half stick of butter and sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for an hour until the potato mixture bubbles and the topping is golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve to your “honey bun!” Happy Valentine’s Day!