Vanilla Almond Angel Food Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 egg whites
- 1⁄2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Have ready an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until foamy. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until the sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- In another bowl, sift together twice the flour, 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Sift about 1⁄2 cup of the flour mixture over the egg whites and gently fold in just until flour disappears. Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mixture 1⁄2 cup at a time. Turn into the ungreased tube pan. Gently cut through the batter with a metal spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top springs back to the touch. Invert the cake in the pan onto a funnel or bottle neck and let cool completely. Remove from pan and sprinkle with remaining confectioners’ sugar.