Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies
To make vanilla sugar, mix sugar and a vanilla bean, cut in half. Place in an airtight container and set aside for three days before using. The fragrant sugar is worth the wait!
Makes: 48 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 48 cookies
- 2¼ cups vanilla sugar
- 3 Tahitian or Madagascar vanilla beans
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Cream butter and 1¼ cups vanilla sugar until fluffy. Cut vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape seeds and pulp into mixing bowl. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until completely blended.
- Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Form into balls; roll balls in remaining vanilla sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets. Flatten gently with a press or glass dipped in vanilla sugar.
- Bake 8–10 minutes, or until edges start to turn golden. Cool.