Vanilla Brown Butter Ice Cream
Adding browned butter is an unexpected and amazing addition to a standard vanilla ice cream recipe. You’ll want to add it to everything!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- Place scraped vanilla beans, vanilla bean seeds, and butter in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the butter solids begin to turn a reddish brown. Scrape into a clean measuring cup, removing the scraped vanilla bean pods.
- In the same saucepan, add the milk and ½ cup of the sugar. Heat over medium-low heat until steaming.
- Place eggs and remaining sugar in a blender, and process for 30 seconds. Slowly add the warm butter while blending. Add the warm milk. Return this whole mixture back into the saucepan and heat until thickened. Be sure not to boil it.
- Strain into a clean container; stir in cream, vanilla, and salt. Refrigerate overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.