Vanilla Cream Pie
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ plus 6 Tbsp. cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour or 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 fully baked 9" pastry shell
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- In a saucepan, combine ¾ cup sugar, flour, and salt and stir well. Gradually stir in the milk. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir the egg yolks into the hot mixture. Return to medium heat and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla and let cool to room temperature. Pour into the pastry shell.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the meringue, beat together the egg whites, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over the pie filling, sealing to the edges of the pastry. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned. Let cool completely on a rack.