Vanilla Crème Brûlée with Raspberries
This dessert lends itself to a variety of different toppings, including different fruits and chocolate.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1⁄2 packed cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries
- 8 mint leaves
- Scald the cream by cooking it over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan until a light skin forms on top. Do not let the cream boil.
- In the top pan of a double boiler, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, and salt. Slowly stir in the hot cream, vanilla bean, and vanilla seeds. Cook over hot (not boiling) water for about 8 minutes or until the custard coats a metal spoon. Continue cooking about 2 minutes longer, or until the custard thickens slightly. Remove the vanilla bean and pour into 8 individual ramekins with 3-inch-high sides. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sift the brown sugar evenly over the surface of the custard. Set in a shallow pan and surround the ramekins with ice cubes and a little cold water. Slip under the broiler about 8 inches from the heat and broil for about 5 minutes or until the custard has a bubbly brown crust.
- Serve either hot or chilled. Decorate with fresh raspberries and mint right before serving.