Vanilla Custard Filling
This makes a wonderful filling for chocolate layer cakes. You can also add fruit preserves for custom flavorings.
Makes: 2 cupsHands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup whole milk, at room temperature, divided
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- ¾ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- Dissolve the cornstarch in ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk in the egg yolk. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to boil over a medium-low heat, stirring continuously. Whisk about 2 tablespoons of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk the warm egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture. Continue whisking over a medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour into a glass bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before using.