These cookies are originally from Austria. You can dip either one end of the crescent in chocolate or dip the two tips and leave the middle plain. Make vanilla sugar by putting a vanilla bean in a jar with 2 cups confectioners’ sugar. Cover tightly. Allow to ripen several days, shaking jar occasionally.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 days 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 2 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 7⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups ground almonds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Combine salt and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add confectioners’ sugar, egg, ground almonds, and vanilla. Mix well; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Shape dough into ropes 1 inch thick. Cut in 1-inch pieces and shape them into crescents. Place on an ungreased baking sheets. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from refrigerator and bake 15 minutes.
- Roll warm cookies gently in vanilla confectioners’ sugar; dip ends in melted chocolate.