This long-braised dinner is perfect for the slow cooker. Serve over rice.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 7 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 lbs. boneless veal, cut into 1½" cubes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, halved
- ½ cup lightly packed chopped parsley leaves
- Spray the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Push the onion mixture to the sides of the pan and add veal cubes in batches, letting them sear for about 2 minutes per side. Transfer onion mixture and veal, as it finishes browning, into prepared slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the wine, beef broth, tomato paste, salt, and pepper, and pour over the veal.
- Cover and cook on low for 5–6 hours, or until the veal is tender. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for another 30 minutes. Turn off slow cooker. Add parsley. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.