Veal Osso Buco
This Osso Buco recipe is a hybrid, combining today’s tradition of adding tomatoes and the nineteenth-century Milanese practice of using allspice and cinnamon. It’s usually served with a rich risotto made with saffron, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 veal shanks, cross-cut 1½" thick
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper to a large, resealable plastic bag and season and shake; working in batches, add the veal shanks to the bag and shake again to coat them.
- In a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering; add the butter and swirl it around the pan to melt. Remove the veal shanks from the plastic bag, tap off any excess flour, and then add them to the pan. Use tongs to turn the shanks until all sides are a rich brown caramel color. Transfer browned veal shanks to a large plate.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the Dutch oven; sauté for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to get some color and develop a intense aroma. Add the veal shanks back to the pan. Pour in the wine; reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the wine is reduced by half. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice, and bay leaves. Cover and bake for 1½ hours. Uncover and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the veal is tender and nearly falling off the bone. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Transfer the meat to a serving platter, cover and keep warm. Skim off and discard any fat from the Dutch oven, then pour the cooking juices over the meat. Serve immediately.