Veal Stewed in Tomato Sauce with Garlic
This is a traditional Italian stew. You can trick it up with lots of different ingredients, but the purity of these flavors is quite perfect. Serve over rice or pasta.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 lbs. veal stew meat, cut in chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- 1 can (28 oz.) sugar-free plum tomatoes, drained
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Combine the salt, pepper, and flour on a piece of waxed paper.
- Roll the veal in the flour mixture. Sauté it quickly to brown. Add garlic, oregano, lemon juice, Splenda, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer over very low heat for 2 hours.