Vegan Almond Cookies
Sweet and bursting with the flavor of almonds, these cookies are a classic complement to your favorite Chinese meal, or any meal!
Makes: 42Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine margarine, shortening, and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer. Stir in egg replacement and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, almond meal, and baking powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Form the chilled dough into 3⁄4-inch balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass. Press 5 toasted almond slices into the top of each cookie forming a circle. Bake at 350°F for 11 to 13 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes on cookie sheet before placing on wire rack. Cool completely.