Vegan Apple-Cinnamon Coffee Cake
For this rich, vegan coffee cake, a simple batter is baked with a topping of sliced apples mixed with chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sorghum flour, divided
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar, divided
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. sorghum flour
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 medium Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon. In a smaller bowl whisk together oil, 3⁄4 cup sugar, and almond milk. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until you have a thick batter. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining cinnamon, sugar, and flour. Use your hands to blend vegan butter into the mixture and form small chunks. Add walnuts and apples and toss well with your hands. Scoop mixture evenly over cake batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until edges of apples begin to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center if cake comes out clean.