Vegan Apricot Tart
This dish explodes with a concentrated apricot flavor!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. very cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2½ Tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- Ice water, as needed
- 6 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp. apricot preserves
- 6 apricots, halved and pitted
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Quickly cut margarine and shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons ice water over the surface. Stir the dough with a wooden spoon, adding ice water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed, to bring dough together.
- Shape dough into a ball and then wrap in plastic wrap. Using the palm of your hand, press dough into a disk shape inside the plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll chilled dough out to a thickness of ⅜". Fold dough in half or quarters, gently lift it up, and lay dough in a 9" tart pan. Unfold dough across the rest of the pan. Lift outer edges of dough with one hand while pressing dough down into the pan and into the fluted edges. Pinch off any excess dough. Save extra bits of dough for another use, if desired. Chill for 30 minutes. Dock with the tines of a fork.
- Lay a sheet of foil over the crust, fill with dry beans to keep the crust from puffing up, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil along with the beans and continue baking for another 5 minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese and then the apricot preserves inside the crust. Arrange the apricot halves cut-side up on the crust, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until apricots are tender and the crust is golden brown. Cool completely.