Baklava is gooey, crispy, and crunchy! Keep phyllo sheets covered with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out while you assemble the dish.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⅓ cups water
- 1½ cups plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. agave syrup
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 strip (2") orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup chopped pistachios
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (17.3 oz.) vegan phyllo pastry
- 1 cup vegan margarine, melted
- To make the syrup, combine water, 1½ cups sugar, agave syrup, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and boil for 5–10 minutes. Discard solids. Chill syrup in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 9" × 9" baking dish with margarine.
- Toss ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar with chopped pistachios and walnuts in a small bowl. Trim phyllo sheets to fit baking dish. Begin layering phyllo, 1 sheet at a time, in the bottom of the dish, thoroughly brushing each sheet with melted margarine. When about ⅓ of the sheets have been positioned in the dish and brushed with margarine, spread half of the nut mixture evenly over the top. Cover with another ⅓ of the phyllo sheets, brushing each with margarine and spread the remaining nut mixture over the top. Finish with the last third of the phyllo sheets, brushing with margarine between each sheet. Brush the top with margarine.
- Cut entire pan into diamonds by making diagonal, parallel cuts about 2" apart, all the way through to bottom of the dish. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until golden brown. Immediately pour half of the syrup over the baklava. Allow a few minutes for syrup to soak in, then pour the rest of the syrup over the top.