Vegan “Buttermilk” Biscuits
These biscuits are made tender by the combination of soymilk and lemon juice, which acts like buttermilk.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Combine soymilk and lemon juice in a small bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Stir flour mixture, alternately with soymilk, into the creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to ½" thickness. Using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass, cut rounds and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.