Vegan Caesar Salad
Enjoy warm, garlicky croutons with cool, crunchy lettuce, all tossed in a creamy Caesar dressing. Top with a few slices of blackened tofu for a complete meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups day-old French bread, cubed, without crusts
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 clove garlic, crushed, divided
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. capers
- ¼ cup silken tofu
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 Tbs. grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place bread cubes in a bowl. Place margarine, 1 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 clove crushed garlic in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until garlic is lightly browned. Add margarine mixture to bread cubes and quickly toss to coat. Place coated bread cubes on baking sheet and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until croutons are golden brown.
- In a blender, combine Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, remaining 2 cloves crushed garlic, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, pepper, capers, and tofu. Blend until smooth. Continue to blend while drizzling in remaining ⅓ cup olive oil until combined.
- In a large bowl, toss romaine lettuce with dressing. Add warm croutons and toss to combine.
- Serve on chilled plates with vegan parmesan and additional cracked pepper, if desired.