Vegan Carrot Cake with “Buttercream” Frosting
This moist, delicious cake is gluten-free, vegan, and easy to make! Top it with a simple, homemade vegan frosting.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sorghum flour, divided
- 1⁄3 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3⁄4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and line bottom with parchment paper. Dust pan lightly with 2 tablespoons sorghum flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add carrots, oil, and applesauce. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until you have a thick batter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix together vegan butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. Slowly mix in coconut milk. Frost top of cooled cake.