Vegan Chocolate Layer Cake
Few cakes are as classic or well liked as a chocolate layer cake, and this one is sure to impress!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cup sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, divided
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. soy creamer
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, vanilla extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured 8" round cake pans. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
- To making frosting, beat shortening, margarine, and 2 cups confectioners' sugar on medium speed in a large bowl until smooth. Add remaining ¼ cup cocoa, soy creamer, and remaining confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Cool cakes 10–15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cakes and carefully remove from pans. Place one cake on a serving platter and spread with a layer of frosting. Place the second cake on top and frost the entire cake.