Vegan Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
Rich chocolate cupcakes with refreshing mint–chocolate chip frosting are always a hit!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2½ tsp. peppermint extract, divided
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp. soymilk
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until ¾ full.
- Bake 20–22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine, shortening, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar on medium speed until smooth. Beat in remaining 1½ teaspoon peppermint extract, green food coloring, and 1 tablespoon soymilk. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on the cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles or crushed cookies. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.