Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Try using your favorite vanilla frosting for an even more decadent treat!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. warm water (110°F–115°F)
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄8 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine yeast with warm water and 2 teaspoons sugar in a small bowl. Allow to sit until yeast is bubbly. Heat 1 cup soy milk, 2 tablespoons margarine, and 1 teaspoon salt over low heat until margarine is just melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk flour and gluten together in a large bowl. Set aside. Stir the egg replacement into the soy milk mixture, then add the yeast mixture. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is satiny and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours. Punch the dough down and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough out on a floured surface into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle.
- Melt 2 tablespoons margarine and spread over dough. Combine cinnamon with remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar and sprinkle evenly over dough. Begin rolling up dough tightly along the long edge into a log-shaped roll. Cut into 1-inch slices, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet 1 inch apart. Cover and allow to rise for approximately 45 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 1 teaspoon margarine in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons soy milk, remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk until creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Drizzle tops with the glaze and serve warm.