Vegan Coconut Cupcakes
These cupcakes pack a coconut-flavored punch—they combine coconut cake with rich coconut cream cheese frosting.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup soymilk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2¼ cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 Tbsp. coconut cream
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soymilk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the soymilk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Gently fold in 1¼ cup shredded coconut. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until ¾ full.
- Bake 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- To make the frosting, add cream the cream cheese and margarine to a large bowl. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Blend in coconut cream and vanilla extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, continuing to beat at medium speed until smooth. Stir in ¼ cup shredded coconut.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes over cooled cupcakes and top with remaining ½ cup shredded coconut, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.