Vegan Coconut-Custard Pie
This pie is loaded with coconut flavor. The toasted coconut takes it to another level!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 package (16 oz.) unbaked vegan pie dough
- 6 oz. extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to an 11-inch circle, about 1⁄8 inch thick. Place in a 9-inch pie pan. Fold edges up so the dough is resting on the rim of the pie pan. Press edge with fingers into a fluted shape. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Place tofu in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade and process until smooth. Add the coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch, margarine, and vanilla extract. Process until well mixed. Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut.
- Pour filling into chilled pie crust. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Pie will not appear to be completely set. Allow to cool for an hour, then sprinkle with 1⁄3 cup toasted coconut. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.