Vegan Cucumber Raita
Raita is an Indian side dish that serves as a cooling complement to spicy dishes. It’s usually made of cucumber, sour cream, and some herbs. Coconut milk is a vegan and Paleo alternative. Because cucumbers contain a lot of water, they are salted and left to drain before they are mixed with the coconut milk.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 9 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (5 oz.) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅓ cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk for at least 8 hours. Spoon off the solids from the top; reserve the thin liquid for another use.
- Slice cucumber thinly and sprinkle with salt. Place in colander and place in the sink; let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse cucumber, drain, and pat dry with paper towels.
- In medium bowl, combine coconut milk solids, cucumber, red onion, garlic, and lemon juice and mix well. Stir in cumin and pepper. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Top with mint.