Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate lovers will adore these cupcakes—there’s chocolate on chocolate goodness!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6½ Tbsp. cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 2 Tbsp. semisweet vegan chocolate chips, melted
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, 4 tablespoons cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until ¾ full.
- Bake 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting, cream together margarine and remaining 2½ tablespoons cocoa powder in a large bowl on medium speed. Add remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Gradually add the powdered sugar, continuing to beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.