Vegan Empanada Dough
Empanadas are convenient “hand pies” that can be stuffed with sweet or savory fillings. They’re perfect for lunchboxes and picnics.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 8 Tbsp. cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- ⅓ cup ice water
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut the cold margarine into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork, until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg replacement with the ice water and apple cider vinegar. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead only a couple of times to form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and gently press into a disk shape with the palm of your hand.
- Chill dough for 1 hour before filling. For use on another day, place in a freezer bag and freeze.