Vegan English Muffins
Top a split English muffin half with diced bell peppers and shredded vegan cheese and then heat in the toaster oven until the cheese is melty. These make great mini-pizzas, too!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 3 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup soy milk, warm (110° to 115°F)
- 1 cup water, warm (110° to 115°F)
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted but not hot
- 6 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- Combine soy milk and water in a large bowl. Add sugar and yeast, stirring to dissolve. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the margarine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 5 cups of flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients until a soft dough is formed, adding the remaining 1 cup of flour as needed so that dough is not sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead just until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and allow to rise 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch dough down a couple of times, then gently roll out to 1 inch thick.
- With a lightly floured biscuit cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place rounds on a baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal. Cover with a towel and let rise for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat a lightly oiled griddle to 300°F. Place muffins on griddle and cook for 10 minutes. Flip and cook muffins for an additional 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.