Vegan French Bread
This recipe is great for sandwiches and in any recipe that uses bread as an ingredient such as bread pudding, French toast, or for making bread crumbs.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups soymilk, warmed (110°F–115°F)
- 2¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- ¾ cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour soymilk into a large bowl, add yeast, and stir to dissolve. Stir in margarine and salt. Add flour to the yeast mixture, stirring until a dough is formed. Cover exposed surface of dough with plastic wrap. Place bowl in a warm area and allow to rise until dough is doubled in size.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8–10 minutes. Divide dough in half and place on a large ungreased baking sheet. Shape each piece into an oblong loaf. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut 3 diagonal ¼" deep slices across the loaf. Bake loaves for 20 minutes, or until dark golden brown.