Vegan Garlic Breadsticks
Try these soft, garlicky breadsticks as a complement to your favorite pasta dish, or use them to dunk in hot homemade soup!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup soy milk, warm (110°F–115°F)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1⁄2 cup warm soy milk. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes to get bubbly. Mix in margarine, salt, garlic, and remaining 1⁄2 cup soy milk. Gradually add flour until a soft dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover bowl and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 1⁄2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down a few times. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. Divide dough in half. Gently roll each piece into a 10-by-5-inch rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise and again crosswise. You should have 4 sections. Cut each section lengthwise, into 4 breadsticks, for a total of 16 breadsticks. Use your hands to roll the dough back and forth until the breadsticks are about 10 inches long.
- Place breadsticks on greased baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Cover and allow to rise 25 to 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.