Vegan Golden Milk Spice Mix
Turmeric is being celebrated for its anti-inflammatory properties and becoming very popular as a nutritional supplement, but it is actually much more effective to consume it as food rather than in a capsule. Black pepper, when combined with turmeric, makes the healing properties of the turmeric more bio-accessible. Make a batch of the spice blend to have at-the-ready for making a warm, spicy and tasty drink.
Serves: 40Prep: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup Simple Truth™ Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth™ Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Simple Truth™ Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth™ Coconut Sugar
- Melt ½ cup of the coconut oil in a medium sauté pan and add the ginger root, turmeric, and black pepper and heat until they sizzle. Stir in the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Transfer the spice blend to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ½ cup coconut oil and the coconut sugar and stir to mix well. Pour into a glass storage jar and allow to cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally until set up to make sure that the spices do not all settle to the bottom of the container. Seal the container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, or keep frozen for up to 6 months.
- To make a cup of golden milk, heat 1-1½ teaspoons of the spice blend in a small saucepan and add 8 ounces of almond, soy, hempseed, or coconut milk and heat until warmed through.