Vegan Kale Pesto
Kale’s cholesterol-reducing properties are stronger if it’s cooked. Steaming reduces the leafy green’s strong taste and helps it retain its bright color. It freezes well; freeze in small portions and thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups packed chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. hazelnut oil
- ¼ cup water
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place kale in a steamer basket or insert and put it in the pan. Cover. Steam kale for 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove to colander to drain. Press in kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Combine kale, basil, hazelnuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- With motor running, add olive oil and hazelnut oil gradually through the feed tube. Add water as needed for desired consistency. Correct seasoning. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for longer storage.