Vegan Key Lime Cake
This is a tangy, refreshing dessert for a warm summer evening!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cups soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. Key lime juice, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Key lime zest, chopped, divided
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soy milk and 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 teaspoons lime zest to the soy milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Pour into a greased and floured 8-inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese and margarine on medium speed until blended. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Then add remaining 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon zest, and remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes and remove from the pans. Cool completely. Place one cake on a serving platter and frost with icing.