Vegan Key Lime Cake
This is a tangy, refreshing dessert for a warm summer evening!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cups soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. Key lime juice, divided
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Key lime zest, chopped, divided
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soymilk and 1½ tablespoons of Key lime juice in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 teaspoons Key lime zest to the soymilk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Pour into a greased and floured 8" round cake pan.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese and margarine on medium speed until blended. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Then add remaining ½ tablespoon Key lime juice, remaining ½teaspoon zest, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat 1–2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Cool 10–15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes and remove from the pans. Cool completely. Place one cake on a serving platter and frost with icing.