Vegan Lemon Bars
They might taste like the sweet summer staple you grew up with, but these lemon bars are even better – and they’re made without eggs or dairy!
Serves: 16Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice, about 3 lemons
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric, for color, if desired
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8” square pan with parchment paper, allowing at least 2” overhang.
- Beat together butter, ¼ cup sugar, flour and salt until just combined. Press mixture in bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until edges just start browning.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, cornstarch, coconut cream, remaining ¾ cup sugar, lemon zest and turmeric. Place over medium heat; stir frequently, until mixture bubbles around the edge, thickens and turns glossy.
- Pour over hot crust. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until just set. Let cool. Using parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars; dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.