Vegan Molten Lava Cake
These molten lava cakes are fluffy, gooey and totally vegan-friendly. Enjoy the melt-in-your-mouth treat with your favorite dairy-free ice cream!
Serves: 4Prep: 40 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup ground flaxseed, in 2 cups of water (let the flaxseed sit in water for 10 minutes)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate (vegan)
- Dairy-free ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease ramekins well.
- In a medium bowl, combine raw sugar or maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, applesauce, flaxseed “eggs” and cocoa powder.
- Add in flour and stir until combined. Pour mixture into prepared ramekin.
- Place 2 tablespoons of small chunks of dark chocolate in the center of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes (cooking times may vary based on temperature of oven). Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Take a knife and go around the sides of the ramekin to loosen from sides.
- To serve, place a plate on top of ramekin and carefully flip the cake onto the plate. Let it sit for 20 seconds, then lift up the serving plates. Top with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream, if desired.
- Egg Substitute: That’s right! You can replace eggs in a recipe using finely ground flax seed. Use one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water, combined, to replace one egg. The seeds have a gelatinous quality that emulsifies much the way an egg would.