Vegan Monkey Bread
Also known as pull-apart bread and bubble bread, this sticky, cinnamon treat is great fun to eat!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. warm water (110°F–115°F)
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- Combine yeast with warm water and 2 teaspoons sugar in a small bowl. Allow to sit until yeast is bubbly. Heat the soy milk, 2 tablespoons margarine, and salt over low heat until margarine is just melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk flour and gluten together in a large bowl. Set aside. Stir the egg replacement into the soy milk mixture, then add the yeast mixture. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is satiny and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours. Punch the dough down and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3⁄4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Cut dough into 1-inch pieces. Toss dough pieces with cinnamon mixture to thoroughly coat. Layer dough in a lightly greased Bundt pan, being careful to fill in any gaps. Cover Bundt pan with plastic wrap and allow to rise another 1 to 2 hours until dough is 1 to 2 inches from the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine brown sugar and remaining 1⁄2 cup margarine in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until margarine is melted and brown sugar is dissolved. Pour evenly over the top of the dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.