Vegan Monkey Bread
Also known as pull-apart bread and bubble bread, this sticky, cinnamon treat is great fun to eat!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. warm water (110°F–115°F)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cup soymilk
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- Combine yeast with warm water and 2 teaspoons sugar in a small bowl. Allow to sit until yeast is bubbly. Heat the soymilk, 2 tablespoons margarine, and salt over low heat until margarine is just melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk flour and gluten together in a large bowl. Set aside. Stir the egg replacement into the soymilk mixture, then add the yeast mixture. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is satiny and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours. Punch the dough down and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining ¾ cup sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Cut dough into 1" pieces. Toss dough pieces with cinnamon mixture to thoroughly coat. Layer dough in a lightly greased Bundt pan, being careful to fill in any gaps. Cover Bundt pan with plastic wrap and allow to rise another 1–2 hours until dough is 1"–2" from the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine brown sugar and remaining ½ cup margarine in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until margarine is melted and brown sugar is dissolved. Pour evenly over the top of the dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 30–35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.