Vegan New England Corn Chowder
Make this vegan version of a New England classic in a slow cooker. You can substitute 2 cups frozen or canned (and drained) corn for the fresh corn.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small bunch chives, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Slowly stir in the flour with a whisk and create a roux. Stir in the soymilk and continue whisking until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes, corn, and vegetable broth and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve with chopped chives and freshly ground black pepper.