Vegan Pecan Rolls
Here you’ll find all the sticky, nutty goodness you’ve wished for. Even Princess Leia would want these buns!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 4 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. warm water, (120°F–130°F)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¾ cup vegan margarine, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2½ tsp. cinnamon
- Combine yeast with warm water and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar in a small bowl. Allow to sit until yeast is bubbly. Heat the soy milk, 2 tablespoons margarine, and salt over low heat until margarine is just melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk flour and gluten together in a large bowl. Set aside. Stir the egg replacement into the soymilk mixture, then add the yeast mixture. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is satiny and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours. Punch the dough down and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough out on a floured surface into a 9" × 16" rectangle.
- Spread entire surface of dough with 2 tablespoons margarine. Mix the remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle evenly over the dough. Begin rolling up dough tightly along the long edge into a log-shaped roll. Cut into 1" slices.
- Melt remaining ½ cup margarine in a 9" × 13" pan. Sprinkle brown sugar and pecan pieces evenly in the pan. Place pecan rolls over pecans in the pan. Cover and allow to rise for approximately 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 25–30 minutes. Immediately invert onto a serving platter or cookie sheet.