Vegan Pie Crust
This versatile crust is flaky and satisfying—perfect for all of your pie recipes!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 6 Tbsp. cold vegan margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. Cut the shortening and margarine into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with 6 to 7 tablespoons of ice water and gently mix until just moistened, adding additional ice water if needed. Mixture should still be crumbly and somewhat dry.
- Divide dough in half and roll into two balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and press into a disk shape with your hands. Chill at least 1 hour, or until ready to use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk at a time to fit a 9- or 10-inch pie pan, dusting with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Or roll dough out according to specific recipe directions. Place in a pie pan and trim edges. Dock the crust with the tines of a fork. Chill for 1 hour minutes.