Vegan Pie Crust
This versatile crust is flaky and satisfying—perfect for all of your pie recipes!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 6 Tbsp. cold vegan margarine, cut into pieces
- ½ cup ice water
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. Cut the shortening and margarine into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with 6–7 tablespoons of ice water and gently mix until just moistened, adding additional ice water if needed. Mixture should still be crumbly and somewhat dry.
- Divide dough in half and roll into two balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and press into a disk shape with your hands. Chill at least 1 hour, or until ready to use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk at a time to fit a 9" or 10" pie pan, dusting with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Or roll dough out according to specific recipe directions. Place in a pie pan and trim edges. Dock the crust with the tines of a fork. Chill for 1 hour minutes.