Vegan Piña Colada Cupcakes
Pineapple, coconut, and cake are combined here . . . are you smiling yet?
Serves: 14Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. coconut extract
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 Tbsp. coconut cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, lemon extract, 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and coconut extract to the soy milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Fold in the crushed pineapple. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream the cream cheese and margarine on medium speed until smooth. Blend in coconut cream and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Gradually add powdered sugar, continuing to beat at medium speed until smooth. Stir in 1⁄4 cup sweetened shredded coconut.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Finely chop the remaining 1⁄2 cup of sweetened coconut and sprinkle on top of the cupcakes.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.