Vegan Potato Bread
This bread is so gorgeous and has such an amazing texture that your loved ones will be certain you purchased it from a bakery!
Serves: 20Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm (110° to 115°F)
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk, warm (110° to 115°F)
- 1⁄2 cup potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine warm soy milk, mashed potatoes, margarine, sugar, and egg replacement. Add 1 1⁄2 cups flour and mix well. Stir in salt and yeast mixture. Cover and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 1⁄2 hours. Mix in remaining 1 1⁄2 cups flour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down dough a few times and shape into a slightly oblong loaf. Place loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut a 1⁄4-inch-deep slice down the length of the loaf. Lightly dust the top with flour and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.