Vegan Potato and Leek Soup
With simple earthy flavors, this classic soup is a comforting starter.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. thyme
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes until onions are soft. Add vegetable broth, leeks, potatoes, and bay leaves and bring to a slow simmer. Allow to cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaves. Working in batches as needed, purée soup in a blender until almost smooth, or desired consistency. Return soup to pot and stir in remaining ingredients.