Vegan Puff Pastry
Commercially packaged puff pastry dough is often vegan, but here’s a recipe for inspired cooks who simply must make their own!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 16 Tbsp. cold vegan margarine, divided
- 2 Tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup ice water
- Make a margarine dough by combining 1⁄4 cup flour with 14 tablespoons margarine and the shortening with a pastry cutter until smooth. Shape into a 1⁄2-inch-thick square, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, make a flour dough by combining the ice water, remaining 2 tablespoons margarine, and the remaining 1 3⁄4 cups flour. After dough comes together, knead for 1 minute. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place chilled flour dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 3⁄8-inch-thick square. Place the margarine dough on top of the flour dough in such a way that the corners of the margarine dough fall in the midline area of the straight edges of the flour dough.
- Fold the corners of the flour dough up and over the straight edges of the margarine dough to surround it like a postal envelope. Roll dough out to 3⁄8 inch thick and fold into thirds like a letter. Roll out to 3⁄8 inch thick and fold in thirds a second time. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Repeat process by rolling out and folding into thirds two more times. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Repeat process again, by rolling out and folding into thirds two more times, for a total of six times.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.