Vegan Red Velvet Cake with White Frosting
This shockingly red cake is also delicious with a vegan cream cheese frosting.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. soymilk, divided
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 5 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 2 cups soymilk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, food coloring, 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, and almond extract to the soymilk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured 8" round cake pans.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
- To make the frosting, cream shortening and margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of soymilk until light and fluffy. Add additional soymilk or powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency.
- Cool cakes 10–15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and carefully remove from pans. Cool completely. Place one cake on a serving platter and spread a layer of frosting over the top. Place the second cake on top and frost with the remaining frosting.