Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
Luscious red velvet cake smothered with "cream cheeze" frosting is totally irresistible!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cups sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soymilk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, food coloring, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the soymilk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Bake 18–22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting, beat together cream cheese and margarine in a large bowl on medium speed until blended. Add vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.