Vegan Rye Bread
This artisan-style bread will impress! Try making vegan Reuben sandwiches with corned beef tempeh, sauerkraut, vegan Swiss cheese, and lots of whole-grain mustard.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110°F–115°F)
- 2 cups warm soy milk (110°F–115°F)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 Tbsp. cornmeal
- Combine yeast with warm water in a large bowl. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir the warm soy milk, olive oil, caraway seeds, salt, and molasses into the yeast mixture. Mix in rye flour, whole-wheat flour, and 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour. Then add gluten, wheat germ, and wheat bran.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes, adding in remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. Shape into a ball, cover with a towel, and allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours. Divide dough in half and shape each piece into a round loaf.
- Place loaves on a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal, cover, and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut an “X” into the top of each loaf. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.