Vegan Scottish Shortbread
This delightfully crumbly, buttery-tasting cookie is even more delicious with a bit of fresh lemon curd and a hot cup of tea.
Makes: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold vegan margarine
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sugar, cold margarine, and flour with a large fork or pastry cutter. Dough will have a crumbly texture like sand. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Press chilled dough evenly into an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. Cut through dough down the center, than cut the other length 7 times to form 1-by-4-inch cookies. Dock the top of each cookie with a chopstick. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Cool in the pan.
- When cookies are cooled, cut along the precut lines.