Vegan Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
To make this vegan version of French onion soup, sauté onions until they are soft and caramelized. Transfer them to a slow cooker with red wine, vegetable broth, and spices to cook for a few hours. Finish by topping individual bowls of soup with toasted slices of French bread sprinkled with shredded vegan cheese and placing under a broiler until golden.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 oz. vegan cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté onions about 15 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add thyme, red wine, broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Before serving, preheat the oven to the broiler setting and adjust oven rack to highest position. Lightly toast the slices of French bread. Ladle the soup into a broiler-safe bowl, place a slice of the toasted French bread on top of the soup, sprinkle cheese over the bread. Place bowls of soup on a baking sheet and slide under the broiler until the cheese has melted, about 1 minutes. Serve immediately.